Safety Manager – BC
VanMar’s Safety Manager is the connection between the safety program (theory) and the field (application). This role ensures through effective leadership, training and continuous quality improvement that the requirements of the WCA, OHS Regulation, all applicable standards, and the OHS program are known, disseminated and followed in all work areas.
Additional to this role is the role of the Prime Contractor. The Safety Manager is required to support the qualified person named in the project NOP in all requirements of site safety for both the PC and contractors.
· Develop and promote health and safety plans for new projects and maintain plans that are in use on active projects
· Perform routine site visits for the purpose of auditing the health and safety program to ensure it has been fully
implemented and remains effective, and to
· Train and assist CSO and site management in developing required proactive safe work procedures
· Train site team and review, when necessary, sub-contractor safety programs/plans as they apply to the work taking
place on site
· Establish, develop and arrange required safety training for all aspects of the company. Hold regular Superintendent
and CSO training and evaluation to keep VanMar in line with WorkSafeBC and COR requirements.
· Ensure all required qualifications and certifications are maintained for Kindred employees (e.g. first aid
· Ensure that staffing levels and qualification requirements are met with regards to site health and safety
· Maintain monthly health & safety stats for all projects.
· Request and review trade contractor safety programs at contract negotiation and audit management of safety plans
for Supers before trades come on site
· Maintain VanMar’s COR status
· Manage all routine aspects of workers compensation claims and acts as a liaison between VanMar and WorkSafeBC
· Coordinate all training for VanMar field employees that is required by the OH&S Regulation and WorkSafeBC
· Participate and act as an advisor and resource for health and safety committee recommendations.
· Manage routine health and safety activities such as site inspections/audits, incident investigations, reporting
incidents to WorkSafeBC, assisting in creating RTW plans.
· Liaise with sites, trades and when required WorkSafeBC in resolving on-site issues with compliance and safety
· Maintain a strong relationship with WorkSafeBC
· Responsible for overall management of VanMar’s OH&S program
· Additional duties when and if required
The Safety Manager requires a diverse skill set in order to manage the day-to-day challenges of implementing a health and safety system in complex and dynamic workplaces in a highly regulated environment.
· Broad and deep understanding of the Worker’s Compensation Act and OHS Regulation, related WSBC standards and
policies (claims, prevention, assessments), related polices external to WSBC (CSA, ANSI, etc.)
· Excellent skills with Microsoft products – Word, Excel, Power Point
· Capability to bring people together in a collaborative way with regards to health and safety but also possess the
ability to establish a path forward with employers, supervisors and workers through the careful use of the safety
· Ability to perform in-depth research on a variety of health and safety topics and to present findings in a
comprehensive manner in order to determine the required actions on the part of Kindred and/or its trade contractors
· Possess the BCCSA COR internal auditor certification
· Qualified in the essential elements of health and safety – fall protection, confined space entry, respirator fit
tested, OFA 2 or higher
· Additional training considered to be an asset – mobile equipment (scissor lift, boom, lift, fork lift), CSO, crane
operator, TCP, lift operator (internal/external), scaffolding erector, TQ (carpenter, electrician, plumber, etc.)
VanMar provides excellent benefits and compensation commensurate to experience in the industry.
VanMar recognizes and values the contributions of all of its employees to building projects of the highest quality. As a result our company has become a trusted and reputable builder throughout Ontario and British Columbia. To learn more about our company, please visit our website: www.vanmarconstructors.com .
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.Submit your resume by email